File Extension MAILHOST
File extension MAILHOST is used by Microsoft MSN Explorer to store user preferences for the email server. The file is in a Microsoft proprietary format and is required in order for MSN to work correctly. The file will usually be named 'MSN#.mailhost', where '#' is the version of MSN. For example the file would be MSN9.mailhost on systems using MSN 9. If this file gets damaged or deleted, the MSN software will display an error message which can be rectified in the following way:
1. From the Start menu, choose Run...
2. Type 'regsvr32 c:\progra~1\msn\msncorefiles\mailui.dll'
This should fix the error and restore the MAILHOST file to a working state.
Another file extension related to this is DOWNLOADHOST, usually only found on the file MSN#.downloadhost. The DOWNLOADHOST file is also installed with MSN software and is partially responsible for checking email and tracking preferences related to downloading files through MSN. If you have a problem with this file the recommended cure is similar to the above and is performed as follows:
1. Select Run... from the Start menu.
2. Type 'regsvr32 c:\progra~1\msn\msncorefiles\msnmetal.dll'
This should restore the DOWNLOADHOST file and enable the MSN software to function properly once again.
These files cannot be opened directly or edited manually as they are simply settings files used by MSN software, the commands above are the only methods available at present for restoring these files to a working state.
There is also usually a file with the extension MSN used to store information on blocked internet hosts and websites. By default this file is located in the WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc directory and is named hosts.msn. This file has been corrupted or damaged by several known malware programs to enforce restrictions on the internet usage of the target computer. In these cases generally rebooting into safe mode and performing a full system scan with anti-malware software will be able to fix it. Once the malware is removed the hosts.msn file can be deleted and replaced with the default hosts file.
Feedback and Comments about File Extension MAILHOST
Please leave your comments about file extension MAILHOST below:
For more general information about files, file extension mailhost and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry and show some concerns that makes it vulnerable to attacks...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...